Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, a 8 year old English dog mix is having seizures,

My dog, a 8...

My dog, a 8 year old English Bull dog mix is having seizures, they have been in increasing frequency and duration, and her last a particularly bad one, left her in a long post ictal period (days) and some vision impairment, thought she may have had a stroke? But got home after work and she is fine, now running and jumping as usual

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Scarlette, and she is 65lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Scarlette?

She is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scarlette?

She has congenital hip dysplasia and is on anti-inflammatory for that

3/9/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long have the seizures been going on for?

How often are they happening?

When was the last time she had routine blood work done?

Is she on any other medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The seizures have been going on a couple years, they started out as sort of a "night terror", but now realize they are seizures. They started off infrequently, less than 1/month. they have been increasing in intensity and duration the past 6months. she has routine blood work every 6months as she is on Carprofen for her hip dysplasia

Thanks for the information. The most common cause of seizures in dogs is idiopathic (no known cause) epilepsy. Usually that manifests between 1-4 years of age. If seizures start later, it could still possibly be that, but I would be concerned that something else is going on, especially if the seizures all of a sudden increase in frequency, duration or severity; or if the post ictal phase lasts a long time. If this increase in seizures started after the last set of blood work, I would definitely recheck that and even consider a bile acids to further check liver function. I would also consider a tick panel, a protozoal panel and a fungal panel (if common in your area) to look for any of these infectious agents because they can cause inflammation around the brain. Sometimes an MRI and spinal tap are necessary to rule out a brain tumor or an immune mediated encephalitis. Costs can be prohibitive for some with a big work up, so if that is not an option, then I will usually start on anti-seizure medications as long as the blood work is normal. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Sorry about the wait. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they have been increasing, and the post ictal period lasted 2 days with vision impairment. And yes, the MRI in California would be around 3grand, so no that's not an option. There is a study at UC Davis on brain tumors in dogs, but you have to a diagnosis. How do you have a diagnosis without a MRI? I appreciate your response.

You are welcome. Unfortunately, you cannot get a confirmed diagnosis without an MRI. Evaluating spinal fluid from a spinal tap may reveal some cancer cells, but lack of cells doesn't rule out a tumor. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI, thanks for your follow up email. Scarlette is doing better, my vet started her on Phenobarital, all the blood work including infectious work up was normal. Scarlette is a little sleepy, but hasn't had any new seizures this week. I deferred to MRI, LP due to cost. She seems happy and comfortable and she should get used to the med and be less sleepy over time my vet said. But thanks!
Katie

Your welcome. Thanks for the update. Glad she is doing better. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian