Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cat hasnt pooped in 5 days. Shiba. She had an episode of…

Customer Question
My cat hasnt pooped...

My cat hasnt pooped in 5 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Shiba

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shiba?

She had an episode of vomiting(x4) and diarrhea (x5) on Saturday night - Sunday morning. She hasn't pooped since then but she is eating, drinking, peeing and playing fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Shiba eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay

I understand that you are concerned because Shiba has not passed any stools since Sunday.

Given that she had several episodes of vomiting and diarrhea before this, and likely wasn't eating normally her body may still be catching up, and her intestinal motility may be off because of those things. She likely had a very empty intestinal tract after all of that. And intestinal motility will be slowed because of it being empty and will have altered motility after vomiting and having loose stools.

I am encouraged to hear that she is playful, and is eating and drinking fine now.

There are a few things we can do to help her intestinal tract get back to normal.
One is to increase fiber by adding canned or fresh cooked pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One tablespoon to each meal to start.
These are just guidelines, you can adjust the amount based on her ease passing stool as well as whether her stool is too soft or too firm when she finally passes stools.
Increasing the amount of fluids in her diet in general will help as well. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to her food and feed canned food. The more fluids she takes in the better so if she likes to drink out of a dripping tap offer that as well.
More activity and play can also sometimes help to get the intestinal tract moving properly.
If she starts vomiting or is no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. She needs to see her veterinarian.
You might also wish to add a probiotic to get her gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac are very good products.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We forgot to mention we have been giving her 1/8 tsp of miralax (our friend recommended it) for the past 2 days and it hasn't helped. Do you think we should continue or just give her the pumpkin

I would not use both, and I would push fluids knowing that you have used Miralax.

Miralax works by drawing water into the gastrointestinal tract and making the stools softer. It works best in cats that are not dehydrated.

I find pumpkin easier on their digestive tract and safer in cats that may be a little dehydrated because it doesn't need to pull fluids into the gut to work. The fiber in it also stimulates gut motility.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian