Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He haz a collapsing wind pipe i got some meds called ultra…

He haz a collapsing...

He haz a collapsing wind pipe i got some meds called ultra flex they said it would take a month to help i dont have 4 grand for surgary wht can i do or get to help him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Harley id say hes 10 mybe little older and abought 25 pounds give or take

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Harley?

Id say 10 years mybe older

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

No he has his shots and been wormd it mige be little over weight but i feed my dogs

3/9/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

A collapsing trachea ( windpipe ) is a fairly common disorder seen especially in smaller dogs. It is due to a gradual weakening of the tracheal rings.

Some dogs do have a deficiency in chondroitin sulfate & glucosoaminglycans in the tracheal rings that leads to the weakening, but here is no medical proof that a supplement will significantly address the problem of the cough. It definitely will not hurt to use this product, as it will help all the other joints, but not so much for the trachea.

The usual way to address this problem is to make sure Harley is not overweight, as this definitely contributes to the problem. Using a harness instead of a collar is very important, and not using tobacco products, scented candles, diffusers, even perfume around him will decrease the chance of an attack.

Most of these dogs can be kept very comfortable with medical management. Corticosteroids are very important to control the symptoms. We start out a little high on the dose & then wean it down to find the lowest dose to control the cough. Some dogs even can even get down to a point where the just need a once a day inhaler.

Additionally, antitussives ( cough medications like Hycodan ), bronchodilators to open the airways, & even mild sedatives are used to make life easier for you & your pet.

Surgery is a last ditch option, usually reserved to those dogs where everything else has failed, or the coughing is so bad that it can cause a dog to turn blue & even pass out.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Can i get the meds i need from youthe vet i go to says nothing they can do and want to put him to sleep im not doning that ill pay what ever it takes if u can help me

I am so sorry, but my state board prohibits me from making phone calls from this venue. In addition, this is an information only website & therefore cannot issue prescriptions for medications.

Prednisone, a steroid, is a very inexpensive medication, & if your veterinarian will not even try to help Harley, you really need to find someone else who will care to work with you to find a solution for him. This can be a bit of a frustrating condition to deal with & it sounds like your vet does not want to be bothered.

I truly hope you can have Harley seen by someone else.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks, Medical Director
Phone call session started

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda