Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a neck infection due to her collar. I have genta…

Customer Question
She has a neck...

She has a neck infection due to her collar. I have genta spray. Can I use that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucy is 6 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

No, she’s in great health. Just swimming a lot and the collar was left on. Think it irritated her skin.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog has this irritated area on her neck! I can give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No scratching! If needed put socks on her back feet to prevent further trauma to the area as this can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the inflammation to minimize trapping in of the moisture with the hair matting. Please use caution with scissors

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. It is fine to put a spray of the genta spray on her neck but please be careful with skin folds which may trap in moisture and progress any infection

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) If there is scratching or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian