Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He wont eat, & barely drinks any water, this is the second…

Customer Question
He wont eat, &...

He wont eat, & barely drinks any water, this is the second day,,he did take a tablespoon of coconut oil i give him everyday & he ate 2 saltine crackers

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

King,hes a yr old pit bull,,i think hes teething

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He does this every 3 days or so,,,and this time he just keeps licking his "lips" so to speak. I can hear his stomach rumbling,,he gets excited to go outside...but just lays around in the house.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I do not think your fellow is teething, most dogs have their adult teeth erupted and fully in by 9 months of age.

Teething does not cause stomach upset or rumbling.

The noises that you are hearing are the result of ingesta moving through the gastrointestinal tract and gas bubbles. In most cases they are completely normal and seem to cause the dog no distress. But in cases where the dog acts uncomfortable it is likely that the pup is experiencing some reflux or abnormal motility, or painful intestinal spasms that are more than the usual. In severe cases this can be linked to pancreatitis which is a painful inflammation of the pancreas leading to increased enzyme leakage.

Possible causes for his symptoms include a quick change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that he should not have like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc., or an obstruction from eating foreign material that he cannot digest. Metabolic organ failure (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (hypoadrenocortisim), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers (less likely at his age) are other possible causes.

In most cases these symptoms in a young dog are triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes at this age include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.

In a young dog, especially if he never finished his vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus, toxin ingestion, or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause.

Because this seems to be lingering ideally he would see a veterinarian now.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if he's not improving quickly he should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle his stomach.

To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help settle his stomach and get him feeling better and hopefully get his appetite back. Either one can be used for several days if need be.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If he seems better in 4-6 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then he needs veterinary care.

But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to feel poorly even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

I would not give him any more coconut oil. That plant based oil is hard for dogs to digest and too much concentrated oil can lead to stomach upset and pancreatitis.
Please let me know if you have any further questions

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian