Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have our dog on Citra-Vet (I think that's the name) meds…

Customer Question
We have our dog on...
We have our dog on Citra-Vet (I think that's the name) meds to keep him from forming bladder stones. His urine tests yesterday showed the ph balance they are after however there were other crystals of concern I guess for stones of a different type perhaps "caused" by the meds he's given. He's to come back for a recheck in a month but I'm wanting a second opinion about how bladder stones should be handled after surgery and is there another way to keep them from forming that wouldn't cause other types to form?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I might mention he is very allergic to foods and recently his diet had to be changed so we are cooking for him ground turkey/red lentils and carrots combined with half a can of 95% turkey canned and a scoop of duck kibble. Another concern is he has been losing weight and down from about 43 pounds to 35 now... he had been a bit over weight so he's at or just a hair below optimum weight right now but should not lose more.
Might be Citra-Cal
Also has Dynovite in his food for vit. and minerals.
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Steven Hicks
Steven Hicks, Dog Veterinarian

The best way to prevent bladder stones and crystals is through diet. Your dog's food allergy definitely complicates that, however, there is a diet made by Royal Canin that addresses both conditions. It is called Multifunction: Urinary and Hydrolized Protein.

Checked this out and ingredients include soy protein, chicken fat and other allergens for Buddy. Any other ideas?

What exactly is Buddy allergic to? Have you tried the HP diet already?

I'm attaching his allergy test results.
Haven't tried the HP diet but ingredients don't look like they are OK.

Thank you for sending the allergy test. I do believe that the Hydrolized Protein diet will be safe to use, but I understand your concern. I have used it in many pets like Buddy and have not seen a problem with symptoms of food allergies and it is very effective in preventing crystal formation in the urine. Another thing that may help is a canine specific Probiotic (you can get these over-the-counter). They are known to help prevent crystal and stone formation in some dogs.

Buddy has also developed diareah and was up every two hours to go out last night and has had several very loose stools today. Could the diet be causing this and what can help stop it? He just saw his Vet so can't imagine it's a bug of some kind.

Yes, the diarrhea could be diet related. Try giving Imodium (or a generic equivalent - 2mg loperamide). The dose is one tablet twice a day.

Hi Beverly Shaw,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Steven Hicks