Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old Italian Greyhound,Gianni. 6 weeks ago…

I have a 10...

I have a 10 year old Italian Greyhound,Gianni. 6 weeks ago he went for a dental and as my vet was pulling a bad tooth...his jawbone was fractured. Long story short. Gianni was on grain free food due to allergies he had when we adopted him 3 years ago. Due to the broken jaw we have been feeding him canned soft food mixed with water. Unfortunatly the food was not grain free. Gianni has sores all over his belly under his arm pits and chest. The vet gave me BioCalm spray that has done nothing in 2 weeks. For the past 2 weeks we have gotton him back on the grain free dog food (we just soak it in broth to make it soft enough) but the sores look terrible. Heading back to the vet next week.... and the vet didnt think it looked like ringworm. He has lost from 21 lbs to 16. I am so worried about him. His ribs are showing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gianni?

No. Jus that hes such a good boy and I hate to see him so miserable. He is never around other dog except his brother Marcello. If this were contagious, Marcello would have gotten it ,too. They are together 24-7.

3/9/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Gianni's jawbone was fractured during a dental tooth extraction and there was a recent food change that appears to be aggravating his skin. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Do you have pictures you can share of these sores on the chest and arm pits? Also, can you please tell me if Gianni is licking, chewing, or scratching any part of the body excessively (i.e. feet, arm pits, tail base, etc.)?

He is licking the sores.

Thank you. It sounds like this is a case of a superficial dermatitis or a yeast overgrowth. This can happen with a flare up of skin allergies, but it requires treatment with antibiotics or yeast treatment while you are also treating the food allergies. It sounds like this has not been done yet. Sometimes, a low dose steroid is needed to decrease the redness and itch response. Once the infection is cleared up then the food treatment tends to keep things comfortable.

Does that help to answer your question?

no phone call needed. i will be seeing th vet next week. Yes...your answer makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian