Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Has had diarrhoea and vomiting. Looks like he has eaten some…

Has had diarrhoea and...

Has had diarrhoea and vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Looks like he has eaten some butter off kitchen side

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

He's a lab husky cross, 6 and called Bailey, always eats stuff he shouldn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not really he's usually in very good health just always gets hold of food he shouldn't

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

OK thanks, ***** ***** sick he was retching several times but now has stopped
Do I now have to allow a call?

No, you have no obligation for a call, give me several moments to type my recommendations.

No problem sorry not used this before

I am sorry to hear that your fellow ingested some butter and has now vomited several times and has diarrhea.

High fats can cause simple stomach upset, but they may also lead to more serious pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas and overproduction of enzymes).

We know a high fat meal can trigger pancreatitis in susceptible dogs, but we aren't fully clear why some dogs get pancreatitis and other dogs don't when they are exposed to the same high fat foods. That means that every dog that eats a high fat meal won't necessarily get pancreatitis. Given his repeated retching he may go on to develop pancreatitis, so watch him closely.

Most dogs that are going to get sick do so within 48 hours, but there are some that get sick sooner, and some that take a little longer.

I am not surprised that he has diarrhea however with eating that amount of fat.

At home to try to settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers, are very safe, and may help him feel better and stop the nausea. They can be used as needed

I would with-hold all food for 24 hours.

We can alter his diet to try to help him from getting sicker.

I recommend feeding a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber which will help slow fat digestion and absorption and soothe irritated intestines. You can also feed low fat prescription foods from your veterinar***** *****ke Hills i/d or w/d or Royal Canin low fat.

If he's still feeling well in 2-3 days then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.

If he continues vomiting then he needs to see his veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so.

Please read my written response and you are welcome to ask any follow-up questions. I will be happy to respond to them here.

No problem thank you very much for your help!

You are very welcome, glad to help. My best to your pup.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara