Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate a whelk egg case on the beach. I’m concerned…

My dog just ate a...
My dog just ate a whelk egg case on the beach. I’m concerned it will harm him
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Dodger. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• How is Dodger acting right now?
  • Is he otherwise a healthy dog with no medical issues?
  • Approximately how much does he weigh?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

He’s acting normally. Healthy dog with no medical issues. Weighs approx 18kg

Thank you. Typing in more below...

Eating a whelk egg case *can* cause an upset stomach, with mild vomiting and sometimes diarrhea, but it is not expected to be serious, especially for a medium-sized, otherwise healthy dog like Dodger.

There is no reason to induce vomiting or take any other action. He may be able to pass this without incident.
I'll get you a link to an article explaining how to manage his upset stomach, if that should happen. One moment, please...

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks

You're welcome.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this time? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know how worrisome something like this can be.

I'm happy to give you the good news, though, that the odds are likely this won't be a problem.

Thank you for using our website.