Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Background. My dog is an 8yr old Pomeranian. Normally very…

Background. My dog is...

Background. My dog is an 8yr old Pomeranian. Normally very healthy. He was super energetic yesterday after a visit to the groomers.last night In bed this morning I woke up to him vomiting white/clear fluid out of the blue, then licking it back up immediately. I'll note that he was at the groomers yesterday, he's not normally around any other dogs. We just went outside to do his business, he was a little reluctant. Defecated normally, semi hard poop, peed too. Then on his way in threw up 3-4 times in the past hour.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, not out of the ordinary. He drank water when he came back in, but seemed to throw it up. Doesn't feel warm. No runny nose or eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?

Not really.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
A text answer is fine, no need to call.
3/9/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! Are you sure it was vomit? Is there an abdominal component/heaving? Or is it a cough...only chest involved that brings up phlegm?

It looks like saliva, doesn't quite get it out of his mouth all the way sometimes, and then he'll lap it back up. It's every few minutes.

Hmm...so it could be either, give me a few minutes to type a response.

If it's vomit then maybe he got over anxious and it upset his belly. Probably too quick for something infectious, if it was just yesterday. You can try 5mg pepcid AC twice daily for a few days, as long as he's eating ok and it's not all coming up. With regards ***** ***** it's common for small dogs to have what called a collapsing trachea where they get a goose honk cough when excited. He could have coughed a lot at the groomer's and now has a sore throat and coughing more. If that's the case I'd expect him to improve over the next day or two. If not he may need a short course of steroids to calm the inflammation.

I'd give the pepcid regardless as it won't hurt. If it doesn't get better over the next day then a vet visit is warranted. Hope he feels better soon! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah