Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has severe anxiety vet prescripbed ace and xanax, he…

My dog has severe...

My dog has severe anxiety vet prescripbed ace and xanax, he was taken ace with trazadone but i dont like the side effect trazedone has on my pet. The vet wants me to tey trazedone with the xanax but im reluctant. Is Ace and Xanax ok to give my 70 pound dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He was rescued he is hyperactive and suffers from severe anxiety and he also is very afraid to be alone unless he is im jus room. He does not go out to the yard to play by himself unless i am there or someone is there with him. Un his befroom he sits by the door instated of going out into rhe yard and play. He is very hyperactive

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I rescued him during Irma someone left him behind and he seem to have been a "yard" dog. He is lab retriever sweet friendly but protective of his toy and extremelly hyperactive.

3/9/2018
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog has such bad anxiety.

You can safely give Xanax and acepromazine together for severe situational problems.

If this is a problem you feel needs to be addressed long term (meaning he needs medication everyday), usually we will do either fluoxetine (prozac) or Clomicalm (clomipramine) as they work best long term. If this is only for specific events and times, try the ace/xanax combo and see how things go. The biggest thing you are looking for is probably mild sedation.

Thank you doctor.

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G, my doggie needs medication every day twice a day. His is extremelly hyperactive and he does not regulate him self he could run all day and died of exhaustion because he does not stop. He pants non stop even when at rest I think from anxiety. So he has two issues hyperactivity and anxiety. I have 6 more dogs even this dog is friendly I cant let him play with the other dogs because of his hyperactivity and he is not a submisive dog type. I am afraid of the side effects of prozac. Could my dog take ACE and Xanax long term? Or would that be bad? Also my Vet want to give him Trazedone and Xanax but he didnt good well on Trazedone ot made him confused and drooling a lot. For how long can I give him the ACE/Xanax combo twice a day. He is 2 years old takin 100 mg of ACE and 2mg of Xanax once a day. He still active and playfull not sleep at all with this dosage but he is much calmer and his anxiety much much less. Thank you
Dr. G, my doggie needs medication every day twice a day. His is extremelly hyperactive and he does not regulate him self he could run all day and died of exhaustion because he does not stop. He pants non stop even when at rest I think from anxiety. So he has two issues hyperactivity and anxiety. I have 6 more dogs even this dog is friendly I cant let him play with the other dogs because of his hyperactivity and he is not a submisive dog type. I am afraid of the side effects of prozac. Could my dog take ACE and Xanax long term? Or would that be bad? Also my Vet want to give him Trazedone and Xanax but he didnt good well on Trazedone ot made him confused and drooling a lot. For how long can I give him the ACE/Xanax combo twice a day. He is 2 years old takin 100 mg of ACE and 2mg of Xanax once a day. He still active and playfull not sleep at all with this dosage but he is much calmer and his anxiety much much less. Thank you.

Your dog could take the ace/xanax long term if needed. Acepromazine is a tranquilizer taht does not do anything for the anxiety, it just calms them down (meaning they are fully aware but not able to do as much). The xanax will help with the anxiety, but effects are usually short (4-6 hours). Prozac is used extensively with dogs and I use it all the time without any major issues. The key to trazodone is to start at a low dose and work your way up in dose as needed. Clomicalm works a little better, but ismuch more expensive so most start with prozac. Trazodone and prozac may cause the dog to "zombie out" or be very quiet, but that is what they are supposed to do. If he is too out of it, he just needs lower doses. As long as he is healthy, he can get the ace/xanax long term, but I would make sure to check bloodwork every 6 months to ensure his body is functioning normally. I would do this with any patient on long term meds.

The potential problem with acepromazine long term is it causes a lowering of the blood pressure. So if you are looking to do this 1-2 times a day for the rest of his life, you really should go a different route (like trazodone/prozac/clomicalm) or give the Xanax more often (up to 3 times a day).

Thank you very much doctor.

You are very welcome.

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian