Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog just wet himself, he’s been acting weird all…

I think my dog...

I think my dog just wet himself , he’s been acting weird all day to kept needing to go out then he would like squat and seemed like he was pushing to pee and he would be out there for awhile .. standing in the same spot for a few mins doing this then move to another spot and do it.. do I need to rush him to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bruno , he’s 7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruno?

He was put on thyroid meds last year ,

3/9/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. If it's okay, I'd like to get a little more information from you first. Is Bruno neutered? Is he having normal bowel movements or is he straining to defecate, too?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is neutered, he’s straining to do that to, I thought maybe he was just constipated because I have to give him cheese with his thyroid meds it’s the only way he will take it , but he’s never had a problem with the cheese before

Okay, so to make sure I understand, he was straining to pee but no urine came out, and then he peed while lying down?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I couldn’t really tell if he was peeing every time he was doing it he kept trying to walk away from me but I think there was pee coming out

When did he wet himself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry yes , I just went to get into bed and noticed he was all wet and so was my bed under him , he didn’t even get up
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just noticed it at about 3am

Hmm that is concerning. With the straining, I agree with you that he could be constipated. I also think he might have urinary crystals and/or a urinary tract infection that are causing him pain and straining to urinate. I would get him to the vet for a urinalysis. They might also recommend having abdominal x-rays done to check for constipation and bladder/kidney stones. If he is constipated, they might recommend an enema or adding a some canned pumpkin to his diet. If he has urinary crystals, treatment depends on what kind of crystals they are. Some can be dissolved by changing the pH of the urine with a prescription urinary diet. Others need to be removed surgically. If his urinalysis shows bacteria, with or without crystals, your vet will prescribe antibiotics. I would also talk to the vet about some pain medication.

If the urinalysis and blood work are normal, your vet may recommend having an abdominal ultrasound done to check for a bladder tumor. But first, his urine needs to be checked for crystals and/or infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I take him to an emergency room now? Or wait until his vet opens in the morning ?

What is he doing right now? The other thing I'm worried about with him wetting himself is that he could have had a seizure. I would get him to the ER if he is having trouble breathing, his gums are pale, if he is non-responsive or close to it, or if he seems to be in a great deal of pain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well he’s 140 lb Rottweiler and he is a bruiser , he’s not one to show when something is bothering him BUT he doesn’t look bothered at all he looks relaxed like I’m bothering him while he’s trying to sleep lol, his gums are fine they look normal he’s not breathing weird or anything , I did notice him licking himself there and I had to keep telling him to stop , which is not like him

Okay, it sounds like he is stable enough that you can wait until the morning to get him checked out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay .. thank you so much !! You saved me , I was in a panic

You're welcome! Hopefully you get some answers in the morning! And if I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if you have any more questions or concerns, I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sure will and you really did help me, I just needed to know if I had time to wait or if I needed him rushed to a hospital , thank you so much I really was a mess !!

I'm so glad it helped :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian