Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a Rottweiler/pitbull mix. She is 10 years old.

Customer Question
Hi, my dog is...

Hi, my dog is a Rottweiler/pitbull mix. She is 10 years old. When we got her at around 4 years old she had a limp in her back leg. We found out that she was shot with a rubber bullet before and the bullet is lodged in her right hip/leg area. Instead of having surgery, we slowly rehabilitated our dog and for years she was fine and could run and jump without an issue. This past week, she has been limping and not wanting to put pressure on her right leg. She has done this about a few months ago and we took her to the vet. Because she is an aggressive dog, she had to have special medication to dull her out to be able to be examined and it cost us a lot of money. In the end they found nothing wrong with her and within a few days she was fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

This time we decided to wait and not take her to the vet but the limp is lasting longer than before

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

There is no wound on her foot Marley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

That’s it I think

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I can see why you wouldn't want to put her or yourselves throught the stress of taking her in to the vet. I suggest looking for a house call veterinarian in your area. Let them know ahead of time that she can be aggressive. A house call vet should be used to seeing aggressive animals that get too stressed out at the vet clinic. The house call vet will probably have you muzzle and put her on a leash before the appointment. Hopefully she will allow the vet to do a hands on exam, but if not, the vet can also get information just from watching her walk, and may dispense pain medication if she thinks it would help.