Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog cocoa is a chihuahua between 3-5 lbs she is currently…

Customer Question
Hello my dog cocoa is...
Hello my dog cocoa is a chihuahua between 3-5 lbs she is currently taking tramadol 2xs daily vetprofen once daily for arthritis for months. since yesterday she’s been in a ton of pain can’t even lay down ...wobbly..confused ..her morning dosage seemed to work but the evening dose doesn’t seem like it worked
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your chihuahua's pain has been higher than normal. She may have pulled a muscle or sustained some other kind of injury that is now making her pain higher than normal. If that is the case, I recommend asking your vet about getting some additional pain medication on board until she heals from whatever injury she sustained. Gabapentin is often added in when something stronger than tramadol and an NSAID is required. I would also ask your vet whether she would benefit from a muscle relaxer. When was the last time she had blood work done? While it certainly could just be that it's pain causing her to act wobbly and confused, she could have something else going on in addition So I would also ask your vet if they recommend getting some lab work done to rule out things like liver and kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, urinary tract infection, etc. All those things can cause them to act wobbly and confused, too.

Thanks is there something I can do for tonight ?

If you have a heating pad, that might help with the pain. The heating pad should have a towel over it and she should be placed on the towel (not directly on the heating pad).

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian