Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3mth old pup hit his head on the step, both his eyes look…

Customer Question
My 3mth old pup...

My 3mth old pup hit his head on the step, both his eyes look very blood shot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He is eating , going to the bathroom just fine .

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't, his eyes just are really read ,

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nope, just was Petting him after he hit his head and they are really red

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes , he eats like a cow lol, playful etc , but his eyes are scaring me

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

The white part of the eye is bloodshot red

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the dog behaving differently?

Nope he went pee and poop just fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious behavior changes. What is the dog's name and age?

Dogs name is ***** ***** he is 3mths today

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Marlon?

3mths

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marlon?

Nope , he's a happy pup, just decided to be daring and hit his head on a step

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Marlon, please? Regretfully, it's nigh impossible for me to assess the extent of injury from here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
his eyes are still really bloodshot where white part of the eye is, he's eating and drinking fine

Thank you for the update. Marlon's vet will want to perform an exam of the inside of his Marlon's eyes with an ophthalmoscope to see if injury to his retina, lens, or iris has occurred. The most important consideration in these patients is the degree of inflammation that has arisen. Inflammation needs to be kept under control with either a nonsteroidal antinflammatory drug (ophthalmic and/or systemic) or a glucocorticoid (steroid) lest significant damage is caused inside the eye. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian