Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 8 year old male, neutered pug- Otis. He is in

Customer Question
Hello- I have an 8...
Hello- I have an 8 year old male, neutered pug- Otis. He is in excellent health. He has an excellent diet, well exercised, well groomed, and all the love in the world. Tonight I discovered a soft, squishy lump on his stomach. I grew up with Shelties so I know about the fatty tumors dogs get as they age. However- I have never felt one on the stomach. I am so scared and I am going to get him into the vet hopefully tomorrow morning first thing. Can you give me any feedback?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Otis is adorable! Fatty lumps can occur anywhere, so there is a chance that this is just a fatty growth (lipoma). Your vet will check for this by doing a Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA), where they will remove cells from the growth to check under the microscope. If it's not a fatty tumor, it may be another type of tumor that is easily identified under the microscope. Some tumors do not shed cells easily, however, and in that case, growth removal with biopsy is the best way to proceed.