Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am a nervous wreck right now so forgive me- I have an 8…

Hello there Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Hello there

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

I am a nervous wreck right now so forgive me-

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

I have an 8 year old male neutered pug, Otis- excellent health. I discovered a few hours ago a lump on his belly that is soft and kind of squishy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Otis-?

No. I have had dogs my whole life and I know about the fatty tumors but never felt one on a stomach

3/9/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about Otis. I am working on some questions and a response and will be back shortly.

By the way, do you have any photos of the mass?

I understand your worry and concern. Please try to stay as calm as possible. So obviously it is impossible for me to determine what the mass is over the internet, but if you just found it and it is small and not causing him pain or distress, then I would just recommend that you take him in to have it tested. Dogs can get fatty lumps anywhere on their body, however, without doing a fine needle aspiration, it is impossible to confirm what type of mass it is. typing more....

Hi Dr. Nicole- thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! I have just noticed it. He does not appear to be bothered by it. It is soft and squishy like. It is small more towards med. size. Not really raised.
I looked at it under a flashlight and you cannot make anything out. No redness, no open sore, no puss or any oozing. It is under the skin

Well that is all really good news!!! I understand your concern...He is your baby. I can tell! So you have a couple options. You can monitor the lesion for few days and see if it changes in nature or increases in size. If things are changing, then the best option would be to have it examined and possibly tested. It think that it is very good that it is soft. Most likely a fatty mass, but I can not make any guesses unless it is examined and tested. I think just try to relax and make sure that he is otherwise doing well and just take it one day at a time. If it will bring you peace of mind to have it tested, then take him in sooner rather than later.

Thank you so very much! You made me feel so much more at ease! I think I will be able to sleep tonight! I already left a VM with our vet clinic- we have an amazing vet! Like you! I asked them I am looking to get in ASAP. Thank you once again!

You are very welcome!! Also, at any point if you would like to send a pic you can. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so keep me posted. Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you! Yes I will do the review right now! Thank you so so much!