Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has become lethargic and quit eating. No runny nose,eyes,

He has become lethargic...

He has become lethargic and quit eating. No runny nose,eyes, or bowels. He has a temperature of 104+. He is a border collie about 8 months old. Had his parvo shots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Rosco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosco?

No, he is usually very energetic but has little energy now.

3/9/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about Rosco. This sounds like a serious situation. Has Rosco been around any other pets recently? Any change in routine or history of travel? Has he had all of his vaccinations?

Are you there?

He hasn't been around any pets that he hasn't been exposed to before. No changes to his normal routines. I have given him parvo. I don't know what pup vaccinations he had before i got him but he came from a reputable breeder so I assume that they would have given the regularly recommended shots

O​k. Thanks for the information. I only ask about the vaccinations because they do need a series of 2 or 3 Distemper/parvo vaccines in sequence to be fully vaccinated. There are literally SO many things that can cause fevers in young dogs. We first tend to think about infectious diseases such as viruses, bacterial infections such as tick borne diseases. My concern is 2 fold....it can be quite dangerous for him to have a fever that high especially if it continues too long. It can start effecting the organs. Also if he is really weak and depressed, not eating or drinking, then he is likely to become dehydrated quickly. typing more....

he did have the 3 shot series of distemper/parvo shots

That is good. Thanks for confirming. Do you have a vet that you trust and could take him to tonight or tomorrow? I think this is a situation where you shouldn't waste time and should have him examined. That is a really elevated temperature and I worry that the longer that you wait, the weaker he will get. As far as trying to keep him cool....I do not recommend giving a cold bath, but instead you can cool his head and his paws. Sometimes if you try to cool them too fast or saturate their entire body with cool water, it can actually trap heat in and make the fever worse. So if you can not get him in tonight, then you can at least try to keep him cooler by cooling his heat and paw.

Thank you for the advice. I do have a good vet--actually my brother-in-law, but I didn't want to bother him at home tonight. I will see him in the morning.
He is twenty miles away

T​hat is even better! I am so glad that you posted the question. Like I said, in the meantime, continue to check his temperature and try to keep him cool tonight, by cooling his head and paws. Also hopefully he will take some water from you. I would be on a hunt for any underlying infectious disease. We do a lot of tick panels in dogs with fever of unknown origin, but always depends on the history and lifestyle. We also trying looking for other sources of infection. Your vet may elect to do blood work or other testing and then put on antibiotics and NSAID. If you are satisfied with my assistance, A 5 star rating is appreciated. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week, so please keep me posted on how he is doing. Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian