Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my 12 pound dog has ingested at least 4 dilaudid,

Customer Question
I think my 12...

I think my 12 pound dog has ingested at least 4 dilaudid, what can I do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

It has been at least 2 hours since he had been left alone,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

His name is ***** ***** he is 6 years old. He is a maltese/yorkie

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The dilaudid were 2mgm tablets
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is acting groggy and is unsteady when he tries to walk.He has not vomited to my knowledge.
Should I expect convulsions or will he just get sleep and pass if indeed he did ingest that much medication?
Of course I can take him to an emergency vet clinic.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I try to make him vomit.
I am not sure how to make that happen.
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend the following:

You still have time to sort this out if you act quickly.

1. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the mouse poison that way. Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.
Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However, if you fail to induce vomiting then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay. The ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs, there are also other measures which can be taken to limit the effects of the poison and there is a very good antidote available for many forms of mouse poison.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not rat poison it is Dilaudid a morphine pain killer.
Is it also rat poison?

I apologize, it is not rat poison, but I would still induce vomiting as previously stated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I cannot get him to vomit will he convulse or will he just get sleepy and go into resp. arrest.
Should I keep him moving.

If you cannot get him to vomit, I would take him to the emergency vet for detoxification as that is a very high dose and could lead to some serious consequences if you can't get him to vomit up the medication.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought so. Thank you, ***** ***** on my way to the ER. Vet now
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian