Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has this lump near his penis he is constantly licking…

My dog has this...

My dog has this lump near his penis he is constantly licking and gnawing at it and now it looks really bad, he was at the vet Saturday and he said it was normal but now it’s way bigger than it was on Saturday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Brooklyn and he’s about 10. I have a pic of you want to see it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brooklyn?

He was diagnosed last year with vestibular disease and most recently with kidney disease.

3/9/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Yes, please do send a picture. That would be very helpful.

That area is definitely infected. I recommend getting him in to the vet for antibiotics. The infection is likely not the main problem but has occurred due to Brooklyn licking it all the time. So clearly it is bothering him. One way to figure out what that growth is for your vet to get some cell samples from it and look at them under the microscope to see if it's possible to identify the type of growth. Sometimes this gives an answer, and sometimes it doesn't if that type of tumor doesn't shed cells very easily. The best way to find out exactly what the lump is would be to get it (or a part of it) removed and submitted for biopsy. And the infection on top of it needs to be treated with antibiotics. He should also wear an E-collar to keep from licking at it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was just at the vet on Saturday and he said the growth was normal, I honestly can’t afford to take him back again it was $200 just for the last visit. I will call his vet tomorrow. Thanks

Ah okay, then if the growth isn't something cancerous, he probably will just need antibiotics and an E-collar.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there something you can recommend I can clean it with now at least for tonight

Yes, you can clean it with soap and water, and then make sure to rinse and dry thoroughly. I would try to make some kind of wrap for it to keep him from getting at it. They sell E-collars at PetSmart and PetCo so you could get one from there so he can't get to it.

Do you have any antibiotic ointment? After cleaning and drying, you could apply that to the area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will do that. I don’t have the antibiotic ointment, but will get it in the morning for him

Okay, that sounds good. I hope it starts to heal up soon. And if I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if you have any more questions or concerns, I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help. Have a good night.

You're very welcome!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian