Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Lab got ahold of about 6 slices of jalapeños and is

My Lab got ahold...

My Lab got ahold of about 6 slices of jalapeños and is looking like she's not sure what's going on. She's never had them before. From my plate on the coffee table. She was licking her mouth and pawing at it for about 5 minutes and is sleeping now.. just want to know if she's going to be ok.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella is 6 years. Chocolate lab/ German short hair pointer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She's allergic to chicken as far as we know.

3/9/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bella swallowed 6 slices of jalapeños. It sounds like she was experiencing some mouth pain, but she is appearing comfortable now. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She was just laying down looking odd. I wondered if her stomach was upset. I'm just worried about side effects that I should look for.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thank you all for your help but I can't spend this kind of money to talk to someone..

Yes, you have the right idea. Jalapeños can cause acute stomach inflammation and nausea. You are looking for signs of nausea, which are a lack of appetite, drooling, lip licking, increased stomach sounds, vomiting, or diarrhea. Treatment for acute gastritis is to give a medication to decrease nausea and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 50 lb dog dose is 10 mg (i.e. 1 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if Bella weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for her.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed her a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If she continues to vomit then she should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks so much. She's sleeping now. I'll keep an extra eye on her.
A friend mentioned giving her pepto ...

You are most welcome. Remember, it is Pepcid and not Pepto Bismol that you want. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bella is 65 pounds

In that case, Bella's dose is 15 mg (i.e. 1.5 tablets) every 12 hours.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again.. I'll get her some in the am. I'm in Michigan so it's 11:30.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian