Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little pug of about 20 pounds just ate one chewed up

Customer Question
My little pug of...

My little pug of about 20 pounds just ate one chewed up piece of gum I had discarded. It is sugar free gum, but does not contain xylitol. Has sorbitol,gum base, glycerol,aspartame, mannitol and phenylalanine. I think these ingredients are not toxic, but please confirm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes I wrote in in my last response.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily this should pass without incident, you are correct that as long as it does not contain xylitol you should be just fine and may or may not see evidence of the gum in the stool in the next 24-48 hours

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the gum pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I will be signing off in just a moment

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your Pug to ensure there were no ill effects from the gum. I look forward to an update!

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian