Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Neutered 3 days ago, scrotal swelling and purple bruising.

Neutered 3 days ago...

Neutered 3 days ago, scrotal swelling and purple bruising. Scrotum is the size of a lemon on a 77lb pit bull.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Bruce

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruce?

He tested positive for heart worms, a low indicator per the vet. On doxycycline

3/9/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an equine veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bruce had a neuter procedure performed recently, but now the scrotum is enlarged. I can help you with this. Are you able to take a picture of this area and post it so I can examine it? You can post pictures by clicking on the paperclip icon on the toolbar. Let me know if you have any trouble with that.

Yes, I just got it. Please stand by.

This is a hematoma. It can occur if there is excessive movement or licking after a neuter. The scrotum fills with blood, but it does not need to be treated unless it is too painful. The blood will eventually get absorbed back into the body. This looks to be a mild case, so I anticipate it will not take long for it to resolve. The best thing to do is to help keep Bruce calm, no jumping, running, or licking, and treat with an anti-inflammatory medication.

Does that help to answer your question?

Ive had him wearing a cone so I believe this occured from him getting up on the couch and down

That could be it. The good news is this is a temporary complication that does not need to be treated any differently then what you are already likely doing. Keep monitoring it. If it gets larger or appears to be getting more painful, then Bruce should be seen by the veterinarian again.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
The swelling is finally starting to recede. Thank you for your help.