Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 15 year old girl, Georgia, that has been on

Customer Question
We have a 15...

We have a 15 year old girl, Georgia, that has been on Galliprant for arthritis. A day and a half ago she came up limp. It may have been due to a failed attempt to jump up onto the sofa to look out the window. She twisted back down to the floor, but showed no sign of pain in doing so. Soon after, her back left paw was swollen, more so in the middle digits. It is swollen from the paw to 6 inches up the leg. More tender in the paw than the leg. Upon further inspection, she has a cut in the front of one of the digits, near the nail. Georgia is 60 pounds and is a mix of Boxer and something else. Picture a real life version of the Simpson's dog. She was originally limping, only momentarily allowing it to touch the ground. After 24 hours she was putting more pressure on it. Now, she is shivering from the pain as she tries to sleep. She tried to be more active today, getting off the couch when unattended. We tried to keep her in place, but apparently not well enough.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Georgia. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Georgia?

Can't think of any other items.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is not lethargic, at least no more than usual. She is accustomed to looking out the window and therefore more bored than usual.
She holds the leg outward, above the ground, rather than tucking, when walking.
She is peg leggy to begin with. Waddle to her walk.
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Georgia's leg seems to be hurting. If she is putting weight on it sometimes, it is probably not fractured. She may have a muscle pull, however, and might benefit from a muscle relaxer on top of her Galliprant. Another concern is that she has an infection from the cut in her nail. I recommend getting her to the vet in case she needs antibiotics, and also some stronger pain medication such as tramadol or gabapentin.

We have a family friend as a Vet that lives a few blocks away. We will see her tomorrow. Is there anything I can give her tonight to cut the pain? I know the Galliprant is a blocker for specific pain, typically osteoarthritic.

I can't recommend anything over the counter unfortunately. A warm compress may help help her leg feel better. You can make one and see if it seems to relax her.

OK. Thank you.

You're welcome. I hope she feels better soon. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if you have any other questions or concerns, I would be happy to continue our conversation.