Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has dark purple on her chest and neck area. She has…

My dog has dark...

My dog has dark purple on her chest and neck area

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

She has been swollen/constipated since Saturday. We gave her a suppository, it helped some. Now her chest/neck is turning very dark purple/red

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Molly, age 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

Shihtzu/Maltese mix

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She produced bloody stool today. Yesterday her stool had some mucus. We went to the vet all day Monday, after 2 sets of x-rays they said no blockage, just a gas pattern and fecal matter present. She was given IV fluids all day. She has a heart murmur.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is currently taking 125mg clavamox, 12mg cerenia, enalapril maleate 12.5mg, galliprant 10mg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her nose is very dry and cracking, she is shaking and she is not coming when I call her (usually very obedient)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has been wearing an Adaptil calming collar for the past three weeks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The skin on her chest/neck area, where it is purple, feels and looks loose.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When she was constipated on Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, we gave her pumpkin wet dog food, a little olive oil and put coconut oil on her dry nose. We also gave her a piece of a gas-x pill.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We initially thought the constipation was due to her eating rawhide a week ago but our vet said there were no blockages on the X-ray and did not think it caused the problem. (I'll never give a dog rawhide again, after researching I realize how bad it is and I feel horrible for not knowing before).
3/9/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Molly isn't feeling well. Did your vet do any blood work?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet did the blood work and did not remark on them or call us with any concerns.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet said her heart murmur is a level 4.

Ok, I am concerned that the purple skin is a blood clot secondary to the heart disease. I see that she is getting enalapril. Is she on any other heart medication and has she ever had an echocardiogram (ultrasound of her heart)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has not had an echocardiogram and is not on any other heart medication. A clot sounds pretty serious.

I wonder if her blood work showed any signs of a clotting problem. I would ask your vet for the blood work results and also have an echocardiogram done. It may be time to start her on heart medications like Pimobendin and furosemide in addition to the enalapril. Is there any possibility that she had access to rat poison? Some rat poisons work by interfering with clotting, causing bleeding internally and under the skin.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has had no access to rat poison and has not left our sight in weeks. Could this have been caused by her being on an IV for about 8 hours on Monday?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this an emergency? Should she go to the vet tomorrow? Will this worsen overnight? Should I shave her to see the skin better?

I doubt it. I suspect a clotting problem that may or may not be related to the heart disease. I would want to know whether her blood work showed an adequate number of platelets, and run some blood tests to check clotting times. I'm concerned that the area is getting worse so fast.

I would take her to the ER for some blood work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in a rural area, the closest ER is about 3 hours away.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She sounds like she's wheezing. May be struggling to breathe. :-(

With her struggling to breathe, I recommend having chest x-rays done when you take her to the vet tomorrow, to figure out if the issue is due to a respiratory problem or due to heart disease. If her heart disease as progressed, she may be in congestive heart failure and have fluid backed up in her lungs because the heart is unable to pump normally. Your vet would be able to diagnose this by doing chest x-rays. If she is in fact in congestive heart failure, they would give her a diuretic to help clear her lungs and get her breathing back to normal. Depending on her response to that, she may need the diuretic (furosemide) as one of her daily medications.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alrighty, sounds like an expensive vet visit tomorrow early. It sounds like she will live through the night. I truly appreciate you Dr. Rachel.

You're very welcome. I wish you both the best. And, if I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if you have any other questions or concerns, I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian