Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 62lb Boxer whose around 3yrs old and named Iris.

I have a 62lb...

I have a 62lb Boxer whose around 3yrs old and named Iris. She ate into the packaging for some Equate Triple Antibiotic Ointment. It was two 1oz tubes, one of which was full, while the other was maybe 1/2 full. She just ate her normal dog food a few mins ago, before a normal urinary and bowel movement. Should I be concerned? All of this happened within the past 3 hours.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No. She acts normal and seems fine right now.

3/9/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily there is not enough product in these tubes to be of concern but if the tube itself is ingested then we have a potential foreign body obstruction. So as long as your dog just punctured the container and didn't actually ingest the plastic you should be just fine

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I don’t know if she ingested any of the plastic tubing but she acts like her normal self, in that she was jumping up and down per usual.

It might not show immediately but if she does have vomiting the next 24 hours this should be evaluated as a precaution. Please monitor for signs of the packaging out the other end in 24-48 hours

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Thank you very much!

You are very welcome, best wishes to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman