Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday my dog managed to swallow a small piece of a

Customer Question
Hello- yesterday my dog...

Hello- yesterday my dog managed to swallow a small piece of a tennis ball- the inner core hard plastic. The piece was small- size of a woodchip maybe. He is playful and has his appetite however just had a bowel movement with a tiny bit of blood sitting on top of

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

The stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Wellington, 1.5 years old/ a cavalier King Charles Spaniel and he often has bouts of colitis

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Wellington

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Wellington. In a situation where foreign material was eaten, I would be watching closely for vomiting or loss of appetite for over 24 hours. That little bit of blood on the stool wouldn't be something overly worrisome. Blood in the stool can come from just eating something that upsets the colon. As long as he's eating well, not straining / seeming painful when defecating, and acting otherwise normal - I would just keep things the same and monitor him.

He was straining a bit this evening but he often does- as he has IBD and colitis is often an issue for us- he definitely has his appetite and is behaving normally (playing etc)

With that history of the IBD and colitis, I would be most suspicious for a flare up there as the source of that little blood and not the foreign material that was eaten.

Ok- so I'll keep an eye it's been 24 hours since he ate the foreign material- any guess when it'll pass?

From mouth to out is typically 48 hours or so.

Ok, will keep a look out and ask the dog walker to do the same. You'd only take Welly to vet if he begins to vomit/lose appetite?

I wouldn't be worried unless thee is vomiting and / or loss of appetite for over 24 hours. Chances are more than likely pretty good that the material that was eaten is in small pieces that have a decent chance of passing. You are watching for the signs that indicate that further care is needed so you're on top of this.

Thanks so much- I appreciate the advice, truly!

Absolutely no problem! I hope all goes well!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Thanks for following up! Still hasn't passed the piece but has been eating normally and having bowel movements normally as well/ so I'm hoping all is ok.He did manage to find another piece of the ball and it is actually a very flexible rubber so soft... I've attached a picture. Hoping that means it's easier on his belly.
That is great that he’s still eating and acting normal! One scenario is that he really didn’t eat that portion of the ball. Sometimes it can be chewed in and pushed under something. The other possibility is it is still just bouncing around in the stomach not being a problem at the current time. As long as all is normal, then waiting is what needs to be done.
In your experience with things that continue to bounce around the stomach/ what chance is it that it'll cause a problem?
I had one case where a dog ate a golf ball that stayed in the stomach for years! It never could pass out of the stomach but it never caused an issue with a blockage.