Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I went to take my dog out for the night and he was bleeding…

I went to take...

I went to take my dog out for the night and he was bleeding from his penis what would cause that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is a 15yrs old Pit Bull and he's a house dog

3/9/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

The most common cause would be a scratch on the penis itself. If he will let you, and you feel comfortable doing it, move the penile sheath back, to expose the penis, and then check for scratches.

If he is not neutered, prostate enlargement can cause blood in the urine or blood coming from the penis.

A urinary tract infection, or bladder stones, can cause blood in the urine or blood dripping from the penis as well.

Does that help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this does I will go check him out because he wasn't dripping blood earlier today when I took him out. I just check him and he does have two small stretches but he also has blood inside
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize but I don't have enough for the phone call so I just prefer to text if you don't mind

I can not call right now anyway. That automatically pops up.

So the scratches will stop bleeding.

It is okay to put some neosporin on them to prevent infection.

Neosporin is not toxic if he licks it.

The scratches should stop bleeding in about 20 minutes.

Next time he goes to urinate, some blood may come out since there is currently blood in the sheath.

But the bleeding should be totally stopped by tomorrow.

Then the scratches will take a few days to heal.

If he licks his penis the wounds will not be able to heal.

To prevent licking, you can buy an e-collar, cone collar, or inner tube collar at large stores like Petsmart as well as online. Measure around his neck for the circumference. That determines the size.

He may not like this idea but, to stop the bleeding more quickly hold an cold pack over his penile sheath.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I may assist you with.

When you are all set, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars. Then I know how I did and the website credits me for my veterinarian time.

Many Thanks : )

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for understanding the only thing is the stretches are small and the blood is within the penis when I pulled the skin back but it's not dripping blood now since he went to use the bathroom I'll but some Neosporin I have some thank you. Also I'll go to pet smart in the am because their closed now and get the e-collar thank you so much for your help.

Glad to help. If you have any other questions feel free to reply at anytime.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you have a good evening

My pleasure. You too : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian