Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is in pain- 14 year old Lab. Our vet gave us

My dog is in...

My dog is in pain- 14 year old Lab. Our vet gave us Carprofen but said not to give it till 5 days after his last dose of aspirin. It has only been 1 and a half days but he is in so much pain I don't know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Bo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bo?

He has been healthy except for this arthritis. This past six months vision problems- cataracts

3/9/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, unfortunately, there is nothing over the counter that can be given for pain, I am sorry. I would phone your veterinarian and request a medication that is called Tramadol that can be given while you wait on the washout for aspirin.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I need to wait a full five days?

Yes, when switching from a NSAID's like Aspirin to another like Carprofen to minimize side effects you should wait 5-7 days. During this period you can use a different class of pain medication like Tramadol.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand. I will be in touch with our vet in the morning to see if he will prescribe the Toradol. Thank you for your help.

Fair enough. The name is Tramadol.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian