Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is slightly bloated he can pee when he tried to poop…

Customer Question
My dog is slightly...

My dog is slightly bloated he can pee when he tried to poop he just sits down like he is in pain. He's got little energy. He drank 5 laps of water and now wants nothing to do with it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Murphy and he's 9 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?

He's got slight anxiety, he uses the bathroom regularly and he's a barker so this behavior from him is very very unusual

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there something that I can give him that will safely relieve his bloating and/or cause him to have diarrhea?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I jist tried to feed him and he ate a vouple bites and sat down whimpering in pain
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you with Murphy. When is the last time he had a normal bowel movement? Is he eating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The last known time was late last night. I'm unsure if he had one today. He wants to eat but it's like he's constipated or something
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok, thank you for the info. He could be constipated. You said he is urinating normally, right? Any vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate your help so much. He's peeing okay no vomiting
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok, great. Is he neutered? Is he on any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not neutered no medications
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok, great. Has he been having hard stools or normal ones up until now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn't notice anything out of the norm with him until 6pm today.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By that I mean yes normal stools and all
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok, great.

There are a couple of things that could be going on. Sometimes dogs can have impacted anal glands that can make it difficult to defecate.

Since he is not neutered, theres also a possibility of prostate disease.

I would suggest a good checkup by his veterinarian.

For now, you can try to soften the stool a bit to make it easier for him to go. You can use Miralax. How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Between 90 and 120
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is miralax found?
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

You can find it at the grocery store in the pharmacy section. Its a stool softener. Its safe and non toxic.

I would start with 1/2 teaspoon twice daily and see if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If that doesn't help what should I Do?
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago
If that doesn’t work, with his age and what you’re describing I think he should see his vet as soon as possible. Your vet can do a reveal exam to see what’s going on in there. Thankfully it sounds like he is stable for now.
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

How is he today?

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow