Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friend found her dog dead. Fresh red blood was found

Customer Question
My friend found her...

My friend found her dog dead. Fresh red blood was found nearby on his blanket. Is it possible he had a arterial aneurysm? No symptoms of anything wrong prior to his death. No chance of his getting into anything poisonous.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

No but my friend was the Shelter Mgr. of a large County A.S. I'm certain she fed him a quality dried food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not really. He was happy, had his treats and went to bed. When my friend got up in the AM he was deceased. Isn't there an artery in the stomach area? I'm thinking the fact that it was fresh red blood that he had some sort of an arterial bleed and must have thrown up blood. The dog's mouth was not able to be opened, I assume rigamortis (spelling??) had set in.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 4 months ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. There are several things that could cause a dog to die acutely and bleed from the nose or mouth. An aneurysm is a possibility. Also, a toxicity such as rat bait would cause internal bleeding and death. Liver failure can cause internal bleeding by preventing the blood from clotting normally. Cancer can cause sudden death and bleeding. Lastly, congestive heart failure can cause sudden death and coughing up fresh red blood.
Yes, rigor mortis had likely set in by the time your friend woke up in the morning to find him.
If your friend wants to know 100% what the cause of death was, then a post-mortem can be performed and she can contact her regular vet for information on this.

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 4 months ago

Does that help answer your question? Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you.