Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog won't get off the floor no vomiting or diareah he just…

Customer Question
Dog won't get off...

Dog won't get off the floor no vomiting or diareah he just hasn't stood up all day he was fine last night, he ran around at the dog park with other dogs had a lot of energy but all day today all he does is lie down could it be just that he's tired, has a leg cramp or something? how can I tell?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I don't know what questions to answer or what to look for

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 4 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. This does sound like something significant is going on if he has not moved all day. There are many possible causes for this behavior ranging from he is running a fever (due to infection or something else), he is profoundly anemic (therefore weak; this can come from a bleeding tumor or rat poison or other there are other causes), a back injury or other problem leading to pain and the list continues.

I doubt this is a cramp. Most dogs will walk or try to move but will cry out when there is a cramp.

The only way to truly identify what is going on is for him to have an exam with a vet. I do recommend look at his gum color. If it is yellow or white/pale then this is an emergency and he needs to be seen now. As well, push on his abdomen/stoamch and if this is very painful then this is another reason to have him seen on emergency.