Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friend's 12 y/o Lab has had hip dysplasia his whole life,

My friend's 12 y/o...

My friend's 12 y/o Lab has had hip dysplasia his whole life, but now it is causing him to fall, and to avoid steps and even avoid walking. Pain meds seem to make him vomit. He's been on glucosamine/chondroitin for years. are there any non surgical options besides pills?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your friend's Lab?

I don't think so. No other known health issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A cart/wheels for the dog are not practical. He still acts happy & my friend is heartbroken at the thought of putting him down b/c if it weren't for his hips, he'd be enjoying life.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got a notification about a response but don't see the answer here or in my inbox.
3/9/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. There are a couple of things you can try that aren't surgery/pills. The first one that pops into my head is Adequan injections. Adequan is an injectable joint supplement that can help dogs with hip dysplasia and other arthritic conditions.

The other option that comes to mind is laser therapy. Some clinics use cold laser on their hips to help with arthritis, especially in cases of hip dysplasia.

A third option would be physical therapy. There are clinics that specialize in physical therapy, which could help build up their muscles in their hind legs. I think any combination of these options could be very good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. Is Adequan something that all veterinarians should be familiar with? Do you know roughly how expensive it is?

Here are some links to more information on the various options I outlined.

https://www.adequancanine.us/

http://www.k-laser.com/pet-owners

http://www.caninerehabinstitute.com/Find_A_Therapist.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much; it means a lot to me. I love my friend's dog too. Thanks again.

Adequan is something that most veterinarians that see dogs and cats should be familiar with, yes. As far as expense, it really varies based on the clinic, but they might be able to give you a quote over the phone at the vet where he goes.

You're welcome. I know how hard it is with an older lab with hip dysplasia. It can be a real struggle. I hope one of those options gives some comfort with this disease. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian