Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The good news is Farnsworth is well, off all meds and doing…

Michael, The good news is...
Michael, The good news is Farnsworth is well, off all meds and doing great. The bad news our 8 yr old Doberman female was just diagnosed at UF with Wobblers, in the very earl stages. She is currently on 15 mg daily of Prednisone this is day 2. I cant tell if she is experiencing any pain I have Tramadol and Gabbapentin, Do you think the gabba will keep her calmer.How restrictive should her in house routine be?
We elected not to do an MRI at this point ,and have her scheduled for acupuncture treatment. What do you recommend to slow the progress of this disease.,
Regards Barry
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

In the past it wasn't possible to talk, is this now available

I'm sorry to hear of this with Peepa. Yes, both tramadol and gabapentin are sedative. Exercise restriction is recommended. As for slowing progression of cervical spondylomyelopathy (wobblers) medical treatment as you posted can provide improvement or stabilization of her neurologic status but surgical treatment offers the best chance for complete neurologic recovery, but depending on the chornicity and severity of the lesions may only lead to partial improvement or stabilization.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

UF said in dog over 8 ,surgery does not improve the situation and they do not recommend we go that route. What is your experience as to life expectancy with this condition.

I'm not going to argue with UF who has far more experience with these dogs than do I. Survival time is currently less than ideal. Many dogs deteriorate approximately 3 years after diagnosis, independent of treatments. Please continue our conversation if you wish, Barry.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Hi Barry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peepa. How is everything going?