Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Spleen removed one month ago. large mass. of the sections…

Spleen removed one month...

Spleen removed one month ago. large mass. of the sections tested, no cancer was found. Her front left paw is weak; sometimes it seems fine, other times its a little weak and occasionally it difficult for her to walk easily. If i administer a NSAID. Is there one you suggest?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Lila

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lila?

Other than the splenectomy... 12 yrs old.. and great shape.

3/9/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals (the only safe over the counter NSAID for dogs) or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Everything is going well. Lila is walking without the limp in her front paw. Thank you.

Good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.