Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13lb dog ate a d3 1000iu from liver oil is it ok? Piper…

My 13lb dog ate...

My 13lb dog ate a d3 1000iu from cod liver oil is it ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Piper 11 years

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, while vitamin D can cause toxicity problems in dogs 1000 iu is well below any toxicity level for your weight of dog. There are no special precautions you need take, Piper should be just fine.

2. I say the above because I will start to be concerned when a dog takes more than 4,000 iu per kg of bodyweight { = 1,811 iu per pound of bodyweight } So the toxic dose for Piper would be { 13 pounds X 1811 iu } = 23,543 iu.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Piper's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Awesome thank you'nn

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
How do Icrate?
That's how do I rate?
Got it

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott