Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 16 yr old chihuahua has been vomiting every few days for…

Customer Question
My 16 yr old...

My 16 yr old chihuahua has been vomiting every few days for 2 years. I have spent thousands of dollars diagnostic blood work at an upscale veterinary hospital. She apparently has stellar blood work for a dog her age. 6 months ago, she was evaluated by a veterinary dentist (she has lost most of her teeth) who advised that her blood work is great, with the exception of some minor ly elevated pancreas issue. I can't afford yet another $1,500.00 et visit with zero results. Any clues?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

New carpet is suffering, but I don't care about that. She is very thin. She eats nothing unusually. Mostly baby food since she doesn't have teeth. I have tried removing dairy, carbs, etc. one by one. Nothing seems to make a difference

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Annie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annie?

She has been going to North Star Hospital for years. They know everything about her.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/9/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear that Annie is still vomiting and has lost weight. There are a number of conditions that older dogs can develop that can cause those signs, including kidney disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, foreign body, irritable bowel disease, and cancer. Since her blood work was normal that rules out kidney disease and diabetes as being responsible for the vomiting. Has Annie ever had x-rays and/or abdominal ultrasound to figure out what could be going on?

X-ray yes. Not sure about ultrasound.

I think that an abdominal ultrasound will likely tell you what you need to know. Is she getting any pain medication in case she has dental and/or arthritis pain? I recommend that she be given this daily. I good choice for a small dog is buprenorphine. I would also ask your vet about an appetite stimulant.

I was giving her pain mess, though I'm not sure she is in pain. Every now and again I give her a doggie aspirin from petsmart. I will go through my records. Upon reflection, I think there was an ultrasound. Anything pancreas related sound like it might be something?

The most common problem of the that pancreas is pancreatitis (where it becomes inflamed), which can be detected on ultrasound. Pancreatitis can sometimes be painful. Does she flinch or tense up her abdomen if you push on it? If you could get me her complete records so I can see what testing she has had, and what treatments have been tried, I would be happy to review everything and give my feedback.