Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is around 12 yrs old. She was seen last week and

My dog is around...

My dog is around 12 yrs old. She was seen last week and diagbosed with arthritis and given gabapenton and an nsaid. Today she is vomiting white foam and just started having bloody mucousy diarrhea. I don’t know what to do. Could this be from the medication?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No I don’t think so. I gave her a homemade burger so that she would take her pills last night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Parker

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Parker?

I initially took her to the ER a few days ago because she seemed to be having pain in her back and tailbone area. She began defacatjkg on the floor which was unusual and having trouble squatting.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What NSAID was prescribed?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rovera
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! Thanks for your help

Very welcome

Yes the Carprofen could absolutley be causing this

Please stop imemdiately

And give Zantac- an antacid- at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day

You should also add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal for the colitis

BUT do not feed till tomorrow AM

Please update me later tonight

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So no food at all today? Just zantac?

That is correct

Water, pedialyte are fine to encourage drinking

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last thing.. how to I administer the Zantac? The only way I get her to take anything is with food.

You can put it in a very small piece of cheese

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks for checking in. She ended up having to be hospitalized for 24 hrs for pancreatitis. She was having extreme bloody diarrhea for hours. Thanks for your help though. I think it was safe to assume the nsaids were causing the problem but she was wrongly diagnosed and her arthritis wasn’t causing her pain. She is much better now.

Thanks for the update!

Great job

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian