Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 6 months and has his adult teeth coming in. We at…

Customer Question
My dog is 6...

My dog is 6 months and has his adult teeth coming in. We at a dog park and he was playing. We noticed blood on the other dogs coat and we inspected our dogs and found no bite marks. I look in my dogs mouth and there is blood on one side of his mouth and the other dog is not bleeding. Can play biting induce bleeding of the gums when teeth are coming in?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No. Bleeding is stopped. Just curious if it's normal for his gums to bleed if playing when teeth are coming in.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Of course it is alarming to see blood in your pup's mouth.

The roots of a dog's deciduous (baby) teeth often dissolve as they get ready to fall out. What is left is a small worn crown (top of the tooth) which can sometimes have sharp edges in the area that was close to the gum.

It is possible that he had a loose baby (deciduous) tooth crown that was moving around and the sharp edges of the tooth cut the gums around it as he was wrestling and playing. That isn't common, but it can happen.

The other concern though is that he has a clotting defect that makes bleeding from any sort of small trauma more likely.

These congenital bleeding disorders are more common in some breeds than others.

This is something you want to know about in cases of future surgeries or injuries.

So depending upon his breed, and any history of previous bleeding or bruising, you might want your veterinarian to run a clotting profile and make sure that he doesn't have an underlying clotting defect.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****