Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just noticed bald spots on the back of my chocolate lab.

Just noticed bald spots...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Smooth skin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Taking prednisone, and another med for some type of anemia.

3/8/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly are these bad patches?

How big are they?

Any skin lesions or redness with the bald patches?

Is she scratching a lot?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the area and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On his back, thin, longish, looks like hair covers it up. I would say about 2 inches long, maybe 1.5 inches wide. No lesions or redness. Perfectly smooth, white. No scratching. No camera available. sorry

Thanks for the information. With allergies and flea issues, I would expect more itching. If there is not itchiness and no other skin lesions associated with it, I would probably do a skin scraping to look for Demodex. If he is on prednisone for an immune mediated disease, that will suppress his immune system, which may cause Demodex mites (which are a normal inhabitant of the skin) to proliferate in the hair follicles and cause hair loss. Ringworm would be another infectious issue I would look for because sometimes you may just see hair loss. Lastly, it is possible that the hair loss is due to the steroids causing iatrogenic (caused by treatment) Cushing's disease, which can cause hair loss. Seeing the actual lesions usually helps a lot, but running a few skin tests is necessary to come to a definitive diagnosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian