Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chorkie has been very hyper and eratic for about an hour…

Hi. My chorkie has...

Hi. My chorkie has been very hyper and eratic for about an hour now. When I hold her her head then moves erratically.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Eyes dilated and constant running.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Ginger. 6 months

3/8/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Has Ginger ever had this kind of behavior in the past? When you say erratic behavior, what exactly is she doing? Is she paddling her legs or foaming at the mouth?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No foaming. Constant running. Sometimes in circles.

Okay, so most likely this is behavioral. There are some conditions in dogs (especially small breed ones) that can cause odd behavior, including a portosystemic shunt and microvascular dysplasia. These are both abnormalities in the blood vessels of the liver. Basically, because of the abnormalities, the liver is not able to clear waste products from the blood. The excess wastes in the blood cause odd behavior. However, since this has only been going on for an hour, and I'm assuming, has only happened once, I would not be too worried about any liver problems at this point. And it does not sound like she is having a seizure, so I wouldn't expect any metabolic problem, epilepsy or brain tumor. My advice for now is to just monitor. She should calm down eventually. If she doesn't, or if she loses her appetite or goes to the opposite end and seems very lethargic, I would get her in to the vet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
looks like shes eaten a lot of chocolate...

Hello, has she settled down yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has started to settle. Finally drinking water as well. Looks like she got a hold of 15-20 chocolate chip cookies.

Oh my goodness. Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No diarrhea...minor vomiting.

I'm so glad that she seems better now. Chocolate can be quite toxic to dogs but fortunately the chocolate chip cookies did not have enough to cause more serious effects, such as heart arrhythmias (or maybe there were arrhythmias but no way to know about them).

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for caring!
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian