Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have noticed that my female dog is bloated, shes been

I have noticed that...

I have noticed that my female dog is bloated, shes been pretty laid back and resting a lot last few weeks....im just not sure if its pregnancy or belly bloat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Bai is 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bai?

She isn't eating as much but is eating and drinking.

3/8/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Bai. I'm assuming she's not spayed if you are wondering if it is a pregnancy. When was her last heat cycle? Is she having any discharge from her vulva? What breed is she?

not spayed. mid January was heat cycle. no discharge. she is Catahoula.... I'm really thinking she got belly bloat but with her not being spayed I cant rule out pregnancy. however I know it would put her having pups bout this time.... shes just not herself lately and now I see her belly is huge which it never is. shes always been a really active thin dog.

Alright. A big abdomen could be due to one of the following. It could be she's pregnant. Typically with pregnancy the appetite stays really good throughout it. It could be she's eaten a lot and has a food bloat situation. This though doesn't last longer than a day's time. It could be due to abdominal organ enlargement. Typically this is from the liver. It could be due to abdominal fluid. It could be due to weakening of the abdominal muscle wall from a hormonal issue. Some will throw parasitism into the mix, but I find these "bigger" bellies due to this are very young dogs. Could she have an infection in her uterus that is causing the distention and her not eating as well but drinking ok? All of these are possibilities. Her not being herself has me concerned. I would get her to your vet so they can check her over and in all honesty, take an x-ray of her belly to see what that reveals.

thank you. I was just thinking she would bounce back since she wasn't herself but once I seen the belly I worried twisted belly and stuff like that... she hasn't over ate, shouldn't be parasites, really not thinking pregnancy due to she would be full term and I didn't see any previous signs.... she hates the fed ex/ ups vehicle sound. doesn't matter if its at the neighbors or in our driveway she barks until it is completely gone from area. yesterday however I got a package without a single word from her. she just lays around and stares at me.

That altered behavior and the enlarged belly - those should be checked over with your vet. It shouldn't be the twisted stomach as that is very, very bad in literally hours. An x-ray here is going to be a huge step in figuring things out. I'm hoping for the best for her!

she doesn't whine, moan, or appear in any pain when touched. i have easily pressed on her belly since i seen it to see if she hurt but she didn't move or say a word.... i will definitely be following up with vet. thank you for your time and knowledge.

That is good that there is no obvious outward discomfort when you're touching / putting pressure on the area of her belly. Give her a little ear scratching for me since I can't and tell her to get better!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?