Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cockapoo is 12 years old and has been randomly throwing…

My cockapoo is 12...

My cockapoo is 12 years old and has been randomly throwing up clear slime lately. Yesterday she did it once today 3 times but small amounts.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Trixie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trixie?

She is on Vetoryl

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Has this just been going on for the past two days?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, she has had a history of doing it in the past but now it seems to be affecting her appetite
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cant really talk on the phone. I'm @ work

No need for phone call

When is the last tine that she was examined and her blood/urine checked?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
last month she has 6 month blood tests because she is on Vetoryl

Got it

Just trying to get a handle on the duration and frequency of the vomiting

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has had a history of stomach upset. But nothing that has lasted for more than a day. I just want to be sure its not a kidney or toxic food issue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have since tried to not giver her "cookies"

Thanks

Doubt it is a toxic food issue

Could be renal or liver or other metabolic disease

Could also be acute gastritis or pancreatitis for example

Is she still bright and alert?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mother recently tried to switch her to that Rachel Rey Nutrish.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she runs around like a lunatic as usual

Okay

I do not like diets other than the prescription diets especially in Cushing's patients- they are predisposed to pancreatitis

Lets manage for acute gastritis and hope that is all it is

Then at some point you should talk to your vet about a low fat diet :)

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wish she would eat prescription diet food. she is sooo picky with dog food

Great

Lets give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times daily

I would also withhold food till tonight and then feed cooked hamburger and rice for a few meals

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sounds good. I can do that.

Good stuff

Okay please update me later tonight

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had found a crockpot dog food recipe on line that calls for ground chicken rice and a few vegetables the other day.

That is fine but stay away from the vegetables for now

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, will do. Thanks

Very welcome!

Standing by

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the advise. My Trixie is doing much better now and is eating her hamburger and rice.��

Good stuff!

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian