Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Oh, my dog just lapped up a bit of spackling paste...small…

Oh, my dog just...

Oh, my dog just lapped up a bit of spackling paste...small spot that was spread pretty thin on the wall

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

About 15-16 lbs...Lyla is her name. About 6 years old mixed breed

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lyla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lyla?

Nope...she is pretty healthy

3/8/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thanks. It was not a lot of the spackle...probably 1/8 tsp
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if that much

Spackling paste is not toxic, but it is a gastrointestinal irritant, and the granular debris can cause an obstruction if enough is eaten.

If Lyla only licked a small amount then she may have some nausea and loose stools from the irritation, but that should be it.

You can add 1-2 teaspoons of canned or fresh cooked pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal for fiber to help cushion the irritant effects and push the spackling through, although with the small amount she ate that may not be necessary.

She really should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great...right, it says that it contains Crystalline Silica, but no reference to anything else.

That's the granular debris I meant. Let me know if I can be f any further help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian