Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 8 year old lab pitbull mix. He has never had any…

I have an 8...

I have an 8 year old lab pitbull mix. He has never had any issue other than the occasional ear infection. Not this past Sunday, but the previous Sunday I took him to a new groomer and everythign seemed fine, however that evening when we tried to get him to jump up on the bed, he attempted to jump up, but was crying as if he was in pain. I checked his paws, legs, and body, and there were no cuts, abrasions, or bleeding anywhere. We thought maybe his paw was just a little tender since it had been a month or two since his last trimming. Fast forward to this Sunday, he appeared to be wobbling and swaying while walking around. Instead of running straight up and down the stairs like normal, he was moving very slowly in a diagonal pattern zig zagging back and forth. On Monday, his two back legs appeared even wearker, and his paws would slide underneath each other when walking and he'd have to sit down because he wasn't able to support a lot of weight back there. i was able to get him into the vet Tuesday, and they conducted bloodwork, did a urine culture, provided him with anti inflammatory and anti nausea pills, and gave me a harness to help him walk outside and up the stairs we are going back monday for a follow up and to see the test results. Pending how the results are and how my dog is doing, they said he potentially needs xrays, an MRI and to talk to a dog neurologist In the meantime, he appears to have even less motor control of his back legs he has difficulty moving them at all now, and his toes are getting drug behind him, even as i try to hold him with the harness. my questions are shoudl I take him in sooner?? immediately? he doesn't seem to be in pain, so I'm not sure if i should wait until monday or go in sooner

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Additionally, i was wondering exactly WHAT could be causing this issue im just looking for some possible options so i can prepare myself financially and mentally for whatever may be happening

3/8/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Please give me a few moments to review the information you have provided.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has seemed to happen in the span of a week, so I'd like to know what could be some likely causes of rapid loss of motor functions only in the back legs? Are we talking cancer? Is there a great probability that only some type of surgery could fix this? Or is this an issue that potentially could not be fixed at all?? If the bloodwork and urine culture don't reveal any issues, what is the likelihood of an xray or MRI showing something? The vet currently didn't have a lot of answers, so I'm not really sure what to be expecting, and how bad this is. But it seems serious and I'd like any possible suggestions for what this could possibly be,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i also have videos of him from before the vet, and today. I am uploading them currently

I'm sorry to hear your dog is having these mobility issues. It does sound to me like the problem could be neurologic. The most common causes of neurological hind limb dysfunction is a tumor located at the location of the nerves in the spinal chord that provides nerve function to the hind legs. Another possibility is that he could have a ruptured disc. Sometimes a ruptured disc can be detected on x-rays, and sometimes not. I do recommend having spine x-rays done to check for a spinal tumor and/or a ruptured disc. If the x-rays come back normal, I recommend having a CT scan done to check for both of those things. MRI is good for examining soft tissue, not bone. An MRI would be indicated if there were signs of a brain tumor, such as circling or tilting the head to one side. Since based on what you wrote, this does not seem to be the case, I suspect the problem is in the spine, and not in the brain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I understand. Thank you for giving me a better idea of what this could be.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I understand. Thank you for giving me a better idea of what this could be. I will get the xrays and discuss doing a Ct scan instead of MRI if the xrays reveal no additional information

You're welcome. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Or, if not, I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm assuming for a tumor he would need some type of surgery. is it likely surgery would also be needed for a ruptured disc?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
of course! I thank you for all of your help

For a tumor, depending on the exact location, treatment could be surgery, radiation, and (less likely) chemotherapy, or a combination of those. For a ruptured disc, it would depend on the severity of the compression of the spinal cord by the ruptured disc. Conservative therapy would include strict cage rest, steroids, and muscle relaxers. However given that his neurological function is as bad as it is, surgery might be necessary.

I wish you both the best of luck!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much!!
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian