Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Symmetrical loss of guard hair on gsd

Symmetrical loss of guard hair on gsd
3/8/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Age?

Sex?

Neutered?

How long has it been missing?

Other signs?

Itchy?

Changes in thirst or urination or appetite?

Other lesions on the skin?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanku,
8yr old entire male, he is “ blue “ and a long coat, this started around 4yrs of age, it’s not baldness, just the guard hairs gone so undercoat showing, both sides of rib cage, tail is very poor, like a rats tail, my first thought was hypothyroid ? All bloods well within normal range, vet decided to treat anyway so on Canitroid 400 half a tablet twice a day, possibly irrelevant but dogs also has had a cataract in right eye since birth, vet also said he had a very slow heart rate, which I put down to being fit ? No improvement on the drugs after 4 months
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, not itchy at all, normal appetite and drinking

Thanks for great history.

Canitroid 400- is that a holistic thyroid replacement?

Did they do a thyroid test? and Free T4

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bloods were “ a full thyroid panel “ I’m in the UK and was keen to send bloods to Jean Dodds, vet said it was the same test so to save my money ? The drug is levothyroxine ( sp )
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I don’t know exact blood results, will see vet tomorrow to ask for print out, all he said was well within normal range
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Repeated bloods after 3 months on the drug, levels exactly the same, surely there should have been some change ?

My wife is a double board certified veterinary pathologist and does not agree with a lot of what Dr. Dodds says

That said was the FreeT4 low or just normal?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ahh interesting to know, sorry I forgot, his nails have grown since being on the drugs ?? He’s 8yrs old and I’ve never cut his nails as they just didn’t grow, in the 4 months of being on the drug I’ve had to cut them weekly! I thought as nails had grown coat would improve too ? T4 was mid range normal, forgot to add he’s raw fed ( has been on dry food before )

Okay- dont need to have him on thyroid hormone

Can you send me photos of the skin?

My wife would like to look at them

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The reason I never castrated him is he’s not ur typical male dog, he’s never jumped anything, he’s been around bitches in heat and he’s not interested, we joke he’s gay !! Could it be hormonal or lack of ?

This can be hormonal yes

Can you send photos? :)

Paul

Okay

Give let me send those to her

Give me a bit of time

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanku

Okay here we go:

My wife is very smart just so you know......

She says to neuter dog- that may resolve the problem

Stop the thyroid hormone

IF no response to neutering then you can work up sex hormone panel

Give melatonin- 6.0 mg twice daily for 30 days

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was going to ask about Melatonin,thank
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Stupid phone thank you

You are very welcome

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open in case you have more questions

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian