Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female Australian Shepherd is in heat and is allowing my…

My female Australian Shepherd...

My female Australian Shepherd is in heat and is allowing my male dog to mate with her. She’s still bleeding my question is can she still get pregnant while bleeding? Also when they mate and that’s happened several times in the past couple days they get stuck should I try and help them or let them be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Australian Shepherd?

When the dogs are stuck together the female basically drags the male around because she’s bigger and stronger than him

3/8/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, regardless of the discharge (or lack of it) if she stands for your male she's in estrus (heat). You leave them alone as remaining "stuck" increases the odds of insemination and isn't harmful to either; in fact, manually separating them at that time can injury either of them.

The lenth of estrus averages 9 days with a wide range of 3-21 days. The vulva may become less turgid and the vulvar discharge may become straw-colored but can range from serous (serum-like) to serosanguinous (serum+blood). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian