Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 10 years old & diabetic for 2 years. For about 10…

Hello, my dog is...

Hello, my dog is 10 years old & diabetic for 2 years. For about 10 days he has been having episodes of twitching & jerking to variable degrees.When severe it jolts his whole body.He sometimes urinates & vomits. He is disoriented at the time but awake.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No,I am sure he didn't.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Reggie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reggie?

I can't think of anything, apart from the diabetes

3/8/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Reggie. When was Reggie's blood sugars last checked? We need to be sure that you're not seeing evidence of hypoglycemia. I don't believe that that's likely but it needs to be ruled out as you appear to be witnessing complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizure)s which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, eliminating, e.g.) and are associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed. )Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Reggie's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Reggie suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one (which appears to be the case) clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** been having these once or twice a day for varying lengths of time sometimes mild symptoms for a few minutes. Last night he had a few quite severe with vomiting & urinating, I fed him a little food as I thought it was maybe hypoglycemia and he did settle. He usually sleeps after &there doesn't seem to be any residual effects, until the next episode. I have not had his bloods checked since he was diagnosed as all was going well.

Thank you for the additional information. He's long overdue to have a glucose curve performed. Both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia can cause seizures but as I mentioned a 10 year old could suffer from a brain tumor as well. A tumor can't be diagnosed in a conservative manner but, instead, is a diagnosis of exclusion. In other words, blood and urine tests reveal nothing untoward and so the source of the seizures is assumed to be in the brain. At that point, anticonvulsant therapy is initiated rather than altering his insulin dose. He suffering too many of these seizures during which he can be lost. Please have his vet attend to Reggie. Time is of the essence in these dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian