Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just went through a surgery for an intestinal mass. I…

Customer Question
Good Morning, My dog just...
Good Morning, My dog just went through a surgery for an intestinal mass. I received her biopsy information and have an appointment set with the cancer specialist next week when her stitches are removed. I am going to drive myself crazy in the meanwhile off course. I was hoping maybe you would have some info that could help me understand the results a little better. it is all somewhat confusing to me. She had a Tumor in her Cecum. They removed her Cecum. She also had some nodules on her liver. The liver biopsy came back fine nothing wrong there. The tumor in her Cecum was a Grade 1 GIST tumor with clear margins. This is where i am lost.. the report does say it made it to the outermost layer of the Serosa .. serosal surface I guess. They did do an exploratory and there was nothing else found. We also had the chest x-rays done prior to surgery and ultrasound, x-rays etc. At this time there is no evidence of the cancer anywhere else. The lymphnode did come back fine as well. The surgeon said I now need to speak with the cancer doctor to see what to do as this can be very theoretical. She ready didn't have answer on if something should be done or not. I will have to wait to talk to the cancer specialist next week. My questions are if it made it to the outermost layer of the cecum the Serosa layer does that mean it 100% spread to whatever it was touching? I am unclear what it touches. Is it possible it made it to that layer and didnt spread to the next organ /abdomen? If it is grade 1 and it did go elsewhere will it remain slow growing. When it shows up again if it spreads would it show as a GIST tumor somewhere else? Would chemo possibly kill any cells that spread ? Is Chemo very dangerous? If we decided to just monitor and it eventually shows up can't we do chemo at that time? Any help understanding all of this would be so helpful. Lucy is a 11 year old Border Collie. She is day 8 out from the surgery and seems to be doing okay.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Please give me a few minutes to review the information you have provided.

Hello thank you for reviewing. I noticed this was a few hours ago so I wasn't sure if something went wrong. I have only received the reviewing message

I'm so sorry for the delay. Here is the information I can offer. It's excellent that there was no spread of the cancer to the lymph nodes or abdomen and that the tumor was removed with clean margins, according to the histopathology report. There is a chance that it will regrow, however, and to prevent that from happening, your oncologist will probably recommend treatment with a drug called Palladia. Chemotherapy in dog does have some side effects, but treating cancer in dogs is a bit different from treating cancer in people in that our aim is to maintain quality of life, and not necessarily reach a cure. So your doctor would stop the chemotherapy if Lucy's quality of life was suffering as a result of the chemo. GIST's have a low incidence of spreading, but about 30% of them do regrow. Your oncologist may say otherwise, but my understanding is to start the Palladia after surgery to prevent regrowth. Starting it after the growth has occurred while not be helpful.

As to it spreading, on the unlikely chance that it does spread, yes, it would be the same type of tumor, most likely at the same spot where the old one was. The fact that the lymph nodes and chest x-rays were normal points to the cancer not having spread.