Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She will not take chewable pills for heartworm or joint pain…

She will not take...

She will not take chewable pills for heartworm or joint pain (cosiquin). I have tried grinding it up in her food. She refused to eat for 3 days.. I try wrapping it in cheese and hot dogs. how can i get her to take her heartworm without shoving it down her throat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Hazel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hazel?

She has been diagnosed with arthritis in her left rear knee from repeat injuries. Otherwise she is a healthy five year old addicted to playing ball. She is a red nosed pit.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your question, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

There are a couple of options for you your and your pooch. If heartworm is your primary focus then there is a product called Revolution that you can apply topically between the shoulder blades once a month and it is then absorbed into the bloodstream. http://www.revolution4dogs.com/

If your vet doesn't carry the product usually they can write you a prescription and you can get it online.

Another option is the 6 month injection called Proheart. This is must be given by a certified vet but only has to be done 1-2x a year.

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/

As for the joint health product, there is an injectable form similar to cosequin called Adequan that is given by periodic muscular injection. This would then help continue joint protection without needing to get her to swallow anything.

https://www.adequancanine.us/

Remember all of these products are by prescription but if you have a good relationship with your vet it should not be a problem to get any of these products ordered for you. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian